Saturday 1 March 2008

Kooji does Poland...Again! - Day One

It’s hard to believe that nine months have passed since our last trip to Poland. This all started by getting involved with the Leeds Met's International Volunteering Projects and the 'Leeds Met Poland 2007' project in particular last June. The opportunity to work within the arts therapy centres, Fundacja Miedzy Nami (The Among Us Foundation) and Matki Teresy z Kalcutty (Mother Teresa of Calcutta) was too good to pass up. We gained so many new experiences, made so many new friends and learnt so much in such at short space of time.


Fundacja Miedzy Nami is a centre for adults with physical and learning disabilities in the village of Kreznica, just outside the city of Lublin in East Poland. The centre runs many creative workshops for its artists including ceramics, woodwork, weaving and arts and crafts. It was an enormous challenge for us to take on this kind of project but incredibly rewarding.

After the two weeks had come to an end my partner Johnny and I were asked to help promote the two centres. I felt that this would make a fantastic final year group project and so began the process of integrating this work with the final year of my BSc (Hons) in Multimedia Technology. I have brought together a team from across my faculty, Innovation North and we are working towards producing a flash website and documentary film for Fundacja Miedzy Nami. My contribution will be the design and build for the flash website and I will use video footage of interviews and events both here in the UK and in Poland.

Heading back to our friends in Lublin, Poland.

Leeds Met University have also helped us in producing a large number of ‘Fundacja’ t-shirts. These will be presented to the artists when we arrive at the centre next week and I can’t wait to see everyone’s faces. The t-shirts look beautiful and their logo on the front looks wonderful.

We are about to set off on another adventure, I’m just about finished with my packing, the cameras are charged and so am I!

>>> Kooji does Poland...Again! - Day Two

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment :)